Re: [DL] Does Any body know of Virginia City resources?

None that I know of.

I know a little bit about it - everything had to be packed in with mules
because of the very narrow mountain passes.
Home of the Comstock lode, Virginia City is the penultimate boomtown with a
longer lifespan due to the sheer richness of the site.
The silver barons mostly earned thier riches, created castles in the
wasteland of Nevada (again - each luxury piece, each European chandalier,
each silver backed 7foot mirror, ported by mule over those narrow trails.),
and then moved to San Fransisco - just in time to have their SF houses
destroyed by the earthquake.  :-)

In the 1880's (90's?), when the US government went solely on the Gold
standard to back it's currency - those who had thier fortunes based on
Comstock silver were completely ruined.  Those who were diversified joined
in a political fight to end the gold backed currency - one that was focal
Presidential issue of the 1900(?) elections.

From what I'm picking up from Mark Twain's _Roughing It_, Virginia City had
thousands of miners employed, 24 hours a day.

But no - I don't know of any web sites.  :-)

At 04:58 PM 4/21/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Howdy
>
>I am looking for Virginia city resources.  Does any know of any good sites
>on historic Virginia city.  I found a decent on at vcnevada.com .
>
>Actually since we are on the subject.  Are any of you Marshals currently
>running games based in Virginia City?  Have you run into any problems?  I am
>a little worried the town is too large and industrialized.
>
>In some respect, I could model aspects of the town after "Machine" from
>"Deadman".  The mazes of pipes, but that is more Salt Lake City.
>
>Thanks
>Travel'n Jones
>jrickel@fusionone.com

>	unsubscribe deadlands

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - www.darious.com/deadlands

Everybody dies.  Whether you die on your feet or on your knees, is entirely
up to you.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Ben Bova:
To be reunited with beautiful grey-eyed Athena, the woman he has loved for
all of time