Re: [DL] Rpg classes (WAY OT)

>As to what classes, I'd recommend: history (regardless of what type of game
>you intend to produce, as it gives an very broad overview of how and why
>cultures evolve and what triggers major events); literature and a
>smattering--just a smattering--of creative writing (literature exposes you
>to the good stuff, creative writing may show you the basics, but mostly it
>just exposes you to bad prose/poetry written by your classmates <g>);
>journalism (gives you the "basics" on what's important to tell your
>readers); and math, particularly statistics (you can't make a good game
>system without at least a minimal understanding of statistical procedures).
>Throw in a smattering of science, religious philosophy, and nearly
>everything else and you're on your way. :-)
>
>    You wouldn't believe the skill sets/backgrounds some of the
>writers/editors in the RPG field have, BTW.

Let me toss in my $0.02 on what I think would useful electives.

Desktop publishing, advertising, and anything that would describe the
actual process of getting an already written manuscript printed and
distributed.

But from everything I've seen, the only true requirement for going into the
business end of gaming is an almost fanatical devotion to getting
underpaid.  :-)

-------------------
Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/deadlands/index.html

Everybody dies.  Whether you die on your feet, or on your knees, is
entirely up to you.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Bill Gates:
Having crushed everyone this side, it pursued it's freedom to innovate on
the next, for there was still a remnant of free will and fair competion
there.