[DL] RPG Degree Et Al.

ronald@teleport.com writes:

<< Ps. Do any of the guys at pinnicle have degrees in anything?  Can you get a
 degree in RPGs? >>

    I'm not sure if I count as a "guy at Pinnacle," but I can field this one
from the perspective of a freelancer who's done a good bit of work for PEG
and is employed full-time in the gaming industry.
    I have A.B.s (Ars Bacheloris, better known as a B.A., or Bachelor of
Arts, to those of you who went to less pretentious schools :) ) in English
and Political Science from Duke University, and a J.D. (Juris Doctor -- law
degree) from Duke University School of Law.
    I've never heard of a degree in games or RPGs, though I suppose you could
try schools in California. :)  (If they'll give degrees in Magic, I suppose
they'll give degrees in Gaming.) Your best bet if you want to get into the
industry would be to learn how to write well -- creative writing or
journalism courses.
    My best education in writing came from one of my summer law jobs, at a
firm in Phoenix, AZ.  Everything I wrote was reviewed and critiqued by three
different lawyers.  Inside of a month I went from being a pretty rotten
writer to a very polished one.  So, in my experience, having knowledgeable
people review your work for you will help a lot. :)

Steve Long