[DL] Our State Mag & A Question

To all you North Carolinians out there, (and I know there are a few) _OUR STATE_ Magazine has a great series of articles on the civil war.  Check it out, it is very interesting, and it has maps.

Also, as I perused the mag a question came to mind.  Does the Confederacy have an Independence Day?  If so, when is it?  Does it still celebrate July 4th as a day of Independence as well?  I am assuming so, given the dime novel of the above name, but I wondered if the South would continue to celebrate a "US" holiday.

I would give three dates as potential dates for the South to celebrate their Independence Day.

1)The day when the seven original succeeding states signed the Confederate Succession papers (a la Declaration of Independence, sometime in Jan 1861)

2) The date the civil war began, and when the remaining 4 states joined the Confederacy. (Shots on Ft. Sumter? April 12th, 1861)

3) The date the original seven states signed the Confederate Constitution forming a government (Sometime in Feb, 1861)

Any thoughts?  It just seemed to me that there would be a backlash against the "Northern aggressors" and that would include celebrating any of their holidays.

BTW - if anyone has specific dates, I would love to get them.

Jeff "I mean we don't celebrate Guy Fawkes day here, do we?" Tolle

Why pay when you don't have to? Get AltaVista Free Internet Access now!
http://jump.altavista.com/freeaccess4.go