Re: [DL] Our State Mag & A Question

> Also, as I perused the mag a question came to mind.  Does the Confederacy
have an Independence Day?  If so, when is it?  Does it still celebrate July
4th as a day of Independence as well?  I am assuming so, given the dime
novel of the above name, but I wondered if the South would continue to
celebrate a "US" holiday.

I would say no, especialy since Jefferson Davis seems a little
Dictatorial...or is that a lot

> I would give three dates as potential dates for the South to celebrate
their Independence Day.

> 1)The day when the seven original succeeding states signed the Confederate
Succession papers (a la Declaration of Independence, sometime in Jan 1861)

> 2) The date the civil war began, and when the remaining 4 states joined
the Confederacy. (Shots on Ft. Sumter? April 12th, 1861)

> 3) The date the original seven states signed the Confederate Constitution
forming a government (Sometime in Feb, 1861)

I would say either  number 1 or 3 with a leaning towards 3. Or maybe they
celebrate both an independence day and a birth of the nation day, after all
we southeners do like to celebrate.

David Broussard
rook111@pernet.net