Re: [DL] the war in the (far) west [Christopher]

I'm going to retag this for the masked avenger himself.  But. . . I'll
think I'll toss in my $0.02

>Thank you for your input, Mr. McGlothlin.  Actually, I'm very curious about
>the DL version of military history in general.  How did the Confederacy
>manage *not* to collapse after four years?

You pretty much answered that with a below question.  With the effects of
the Reckoning, any major battle engagement became a horrorfest which
prevented either side from being able to achieve a victory.  This gives an
advantage to the Confederacy, who was fighting a defensive war.   Without
the North being able to actively suppress the rebellion, the Confederacy
can retain their independence.

>Did they get their foreign aid
>after all?

England sided with the South, buying their crops and providing finances to
the Confeds.  England also sent a token force to directly aid the rebels in
the South.  But far more important is the fact that the British invaded
across Canada and is currently occupying Detroit - a painful distraction
for the Union who has most of their forces closer to the Mason Dixon.

>Was the Reckoning somehow a more severe blow to the North than
>to the South?

Well - seeing as how ghost rock allowed the rebels to briefly capture
Washington. . .   :-)

>Also, there must have been at least a few notable campaigns
>between '65 and '76 (not to mention the real ones that must've turned out
>differently) ... do the "Back East" sourcebooks discuss the war in any
>detail?

The Back East books deal more with the current conditions Back East.  The
last book I know of that has details about the war is Tales O' Terror '77.
-------------------
Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/deadlands/index.html

My freshly made cross, my freshly dug grave,
I'm still a man but no longer a slave.
     Scarf Jones, The Railway of Death.  (Burma-Thailand railroad, WWII)

Why did the chicken cross the road?

George Orwell:
Because Big Brother was watching to make sure that it did cross the road,
although in its heart, the chicken never did.