Re: Pedanticism 101 (was: [DL] Rpg classes (WAY OT))

> > I wouldn't dream of it, prettyboy :-)
>
> Isn't "prettyboy" [sic] two words?

Sorry.. regional differences. Here in NZ (and Australia probably)
'prettyboy' is a relatively common word, and it's one word, not two.

And even if I *were* wrong, you would be too, as it would be 'pretty-boy'
rather than 'pretty boy' (which would be similar, but less derogatory.)

> Yes, but there is a subtle difference between a misspelling
> and a typo.  A
> misspelling is when one doesn't know how to spell a word and guesses
> incorrectly.  A typo is when one knows how to spell something
> but hits the incorrect keys.

So you're saying that you can't be bothered spellchecking/proofreading your
writing at all? But you're not only an English Major, you're also an editor
and worked as a proofreader, so how could you *possibly* let common typos
through?

Under the circumstances (i.e. in your case, given your background), I have
to say that letting through a common typo is actually *worse* than not
knowing how to spell a word.

Sloppy Nick, very very sloppy.

Brian "Don't try to out-pedant me. You will lose" Leybourne.

.-->
"The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted
sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there.
Type in 'Find people who have sex with goats that are on fire' and the
computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Brian Leybourne
brian.leybourne@airnz.co.nz
bleybourne@hotmail.com
error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.