Re: [DL] New Edge

--- Ole Ingvar Stene <oleingva@ifi.ntnu.no> wrote:
> Here is an edge I've created for a player of mine
> who wanted his character to be able to quaff an
> entire bottle of whiskey in one go, and then belch,
> smile, and remain standing:
>

> Liver o' Steel 1-5
>
> For every point in this egde, the character has a +2
> bonus to his Vigor tests when resisting the effects
> of alcohole. When trying to sober up, the character
> only gets +1 per level. He might also get some bonus
> when resisting the effects of certain poisons
> (Marshal's call).
>
> Well, do you like it?

Have you seen the drinking rules at the Deadlands
site?
http://www.deadlands.com/deadlands/marshal/Drinkin.html
Since it's a Foolproof (3) vigor roll, that increases
in difficult by 1 every hour of drinking, at level 2
or 3 your cowpoke could go a long time without falling
over.  Maybe give a bonus of +1 per level, and allow
the edge to help reduce some of the negative
modifiers.

A related hinderance could be:

Lightweight 1-5 (maybe only limit it 1-3)
For every point in this hinderance, the character has
a -2 to his Vigor tests when resisting the effects of
alcohol. When trying to sober up, the character gets
-1 per level. He might also get some penalty when
resisting the effects of certain poisons (Marshal's
call).

Yes, I just cut-n-pasted the Liver 0' steel edge and
reworked it.  I thing the lightweight should be -2 (or
-3) because the player has a choice whether to drink
or not, so it's not much of a hinderance.

Speaking of weights, I thought it odd that the
drinking rules (website above) doesn't take size into
account.  Maybe use a base of 5, and for each size
above you get a +1 bouns, and for each size below you
get a -2.  It also doesn't take into account type of
drink.  I can see beer being the check every hour.
Maybe have tequilla/rum (around 80 proof) every half
hour, and moonshine/everclear (around 190 proof) every
15 minutes.

Note there also is an upchuck factor missing.  Maybe
any botched roll is immediate spewage, at which point
you get -8 to social rolls, and -4 from any other
rolls.

-Munch "Mojave Tequilla - this time the worm gets you"
Wolf

yes, I know it was originally Cthulhu tequilla, just
wanted to make it topical