[DL] Re: Mad Scientists

> what it's actually doing is opening a magical "portal" to the
> workshop that really exists elsewhere

Reminds me of an anecdote from an old Call of Cthulhu game.  The party
captured one half of a portal from an evil cultist.  Anything you put into
this trunk would appear in another trunk, which was held by yet another
group of evil cultists.  So they had one door, the bad guys held the other.
They usually kept it chained shut (it would thump around in the middle of
the night, every now and then), and found themselves at an impasse.

What to do?  They stopped wishing they held both ends of the portal and
started dreaming up ways to abuse the folks on the other side.  Questions
arose of "what would happen if we opened it up on top of Pikes Peak?  Would
the change of air pressure make a tornado form over their house?" or "How
about we just toss it overboard when we're sailing over the deep part of the
ocean.  How high a geyser do you think they'd get?"

It's a risk you run when you game with engineer majors.

Tom Huntington
The Truth Is Yonder