Re: [DL] Fun With Hindrances

At 06:43 PM 5/20/00, you wrote:
>Ok so i have a question. Players receive Fate Chips for roleplaying their
>hindrances, but there
>are hindrances that do not have any clear "roleplaying" venue. These just
>require that I do
>something TO them that then gives them chips (I know that sounds vague so
>I have included
>some ideas of what I'm talking about). how do you folks deal with these?
>
>ENEMY - How should i reward my posse with fate chips over this one? If it
>was every time
>the enemy showed up and made life difficult, it just wouldn't feel like
>the player was earning
>these chips with her roleplaying skills.

If their life is made more difficult for their enemy and they don't gripe,
I apply the award.

>GRIM SERVANT OF DEATH - Another tough one. It still seems like the
>opportunity to
>"roleplay" your hindrances is completely reliant on the Marshals actions
>not the players. So
>*I* give my player fate chips every time*I* decide some NPC's pick on
>them? Where is the
>roleplaying? (This is the one that started bugging me, so any ideas out
>there with be
>appreciated).

I don't like this hindrance.  It puts everything on the Marshal, and
requires I go out of my way to make the single players life difficult.  I
usually ask players not to take it.  Thats just how I Marshal, tho.  I
don't claim it is a bad Hindrance.

what I have seen is some hindrances, like Tuckered, scrawny, and
Thin-skinned, never earn one chips.  Thus, except Scrawny (some people just
like small PCs) I never see these.  Similarly, those that do things like
reduce Maximum Strain (in HoE) are always avoided as well by my
players.  Generally  (except Scrawny) they usually wind up with Hindrances
that will get them fate chips, often without any mechanical disadvantage.

Not to say they munchkin.  They really do play their Hindrances up.  They
just never get ones that seem to be good but which are very unlikely to
earn them chips and which hurt them mechanic-wise.

>any ideas?
>
>Cheyenne "Doc Arcane" Wright

TBS