[DL] Question for John regarding Eternal Hero...

I see that the VotWW is different than in HOE.  In Weird West, it gives the
player a point of grit but it doesn't in HoE, in fact in HoE the eternal
hero has to have NO chips to have a shot at making the Spirit roll.  Is this
intentional?  Can the eternal hero spend all his chips to prevent wounds
even though he knows it won't save him, just to make the roll?

Example, if someone has 2 white chips left and they take a 7 point wound to
the head (ouch) they can't possibly survive.  Can they throw the 2 whites in
and then since they have no chips left and are going to die, make the 11
sprit roll?

Thanks for any info on this, one of my HoE players is the Eternal Hero (I
about crapped when I drew a red joker for it...) and he was the Marshall of
our Deadlands Weird West game, so he pointed the difference out to me.