Re: [DL] Two military-type questions...

Mr. Ross Coburn wrote:
>Danke so much!  We shall hereby name you an honorary Canadian, something
>all Americans should aspire to.

	WHOO HOO! I get made an Honorary Canadian AND voted Most Popular Teacher
at Halifax County High in the same day! This is my kinda day!

  Of course, with your leanings, you'll have
>to be an Albertan (think Montana, it's the closest thing we have to the
>Wild, let alone Weird West).

	I ran a character from Alberta for many years, and recycled him through
about 4 or 5 different game systems, which should give you some idea of how
many memories this has brought back for me. Thanks!

>That said, what rank of officer would command an Artillery Battalion (and
>how many men/cannon would that be)?  I am thinking of Pointe Coupée, since
>I am finally writing up the adventure that makes use of undead Confederate
>artillerymen.

	Historically, that Battalion was commanded by Captains Alcide Bouanchaud,
W.A. Davidson, and Alexander Chust.
	On paper, each of the battalion's 3 companies should have 120 men, 4 guns
and 2 howitzers each. In practice, it likely never achieved that strength,
and the exact numbers fluctuated considerably over the course of The War.

>Oh, and if it isn't too much trouble, oh caped crusader, please name me the
>cavalry and one infantry Rhode Island unit so's I can properly attach a
>Deadlands character's past for an upcoming game (after years of this, I may
>actually get to play!!!)
>
>One with a nifty name, eeef you weeel.

	Sorry to disappoint, but all the references I can find are to "1st Rhode
Island Infantry", "2nd Rhode Island Infantry", "3rd Rhode Island Infantry".
etc.

>Grazi,

	You're quite welcome, good sir.

Deo Vindice,
Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Additional Developer: *Deadlands: The Weird West* Revised Edition
Co-author of *Tales o' Terror: 1877* & *Back East: The South*
Southern by the Grace of God