[DL] Fear levels/effects -- Mystic Levels

Fear Levels and Regio (Ars Magica)

Ars Magica has an interesting concept for complicating geography: think of
it as adding a 4th dimension to 3-D geography.

It is the concept of "regio"

For instance -- I am on an ancient battlefield, with two rune engraved
stones on it.

I cross through the stones, and as (bad) luck would have it, I am
transferred to the next level of the regio.  Now I can see a few abandoned
pieces of armour and an old hut:  oh yeah, and my compatriots have all
disappeared.

Meanwhile, my compatriots are wondering where I am.

I enter the old hut and, presto, when I exit, it is the same geography, but
littered with corpses.

As you progress from regio to regio, the mystical nature of the place
becomes clearer.

Sometimes you can't even see physical changes -- the landscape appears
exactly the same but magic is more powerful, or you are the target of
faeries and demons.

This could be transmuted into DL quite easily.

The town has a fear level of 1
entering the abandoned Catholic mission without crossing yourself translates
you into fear level 2, and suddenly everyone in the town is looking mean.
Entering the graveyard takes you into fear level 4, and suddenly all sorts
of little ghoulies and beasties are attacking you
Entering the crypt without carrying a crucifix trasports you into a
nightmare dimension of Fear Level 5

Same geography, just different levels of evil/fear.  You can scatter the
party through different levels of the regio, or keep them together.

almost as fun as leading a D+D through a dungeon crawl that actually takes
place inside a tesseract.