Re: [DL] Game stories:Summer session

At 11:59 PM 6/11/00 -0400, ronald@teleport.com wrote:

>One really good example is the time he took a simple action to
>grab the (wo)man-in-black's butt while chargeing a huge horde of priarie
>ticks.  After combat she kicked him in the nuts repeatedly and I gave him
>three wound levels for several hours (which was also good because he had
>don't get em rilled).  The tick attacks also managed to shred some clothing
>which also left our huckster with something to oogle/grope/you get the
>picture.

Frankly, I don't find this funny in the slightest ... if I was one of those
women, while I would not have been personally offended, I would definitely
never have gamed with that player again.  I wouldn't have been thrilled
with the Marshall for arranging it so my character ended up in dishabille,
either.

But then, I'm also pretty hard to offend, and I've been gaming long enough
to know not to hold a player's actions against the hobby as a whole.  If
those women were new players, or entirely new to gaming ... well, I just
don't want to think about what kind of impression they carried away of
Deadlands or of the hobby as a whole.

Now, I don't know the players who were at your game; it's possible that
everyone found the running gag as amusing as you did.  But I know that a
similar incident permanently lost me a player when I didn't intervene in
time to stop it, and the player gave no indication of how angry she was
until it was already too late.  Heck, I'd thought she was only mildly
annoyed, and the player whose sexist jokes drove her out had thought she
was enjoying it.

I ain't gonna get all high-and-mighty ... but I'd think very carefully
before I let another potentially offensive player character into a
publicly-run introductory game.  Randy is definitely the Hinderance to
avoid in demo games.

Probably said a lot more than it really warranted, but I noticed no one
else had commented on this and I figured I had to say something.  Now I'll
probably get flamed ...

--
R. Serena Wakefield (raistw@gate.net)
Visit Serena's Roleplaying Dojo:  http://welcome.to/serenasdojo/