Re: [DL] Question on Army Rank (ATTN: McGLOTHLIN)

In a message dated 6/26/00 11:31:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
darklord@dark-sky.net writes:

<< Quick Question... what would a soldier's rank be after 6yrs in the army,
 >  assuming average progression rates?
 >
 >  Thanks in advance.
 >
 >  --Dirk  >>

I'm going to re-post this with an ATTN: Chris McGlothlin, I know he's much
more knowledgable than I... but I'll give you a useable answer until then.

Enlisted -  After 6 years, a man would probably be a Corporal at least.  If
he was in a combat unit, definitely Corporal, probably Sergeant, possibly 1st
Sergeant (?).

As an Officer, and it being a time of war (promotions usually come quicker
during war) - minimum he would be a 2nd Lieutenant, and probably a Captain,
possibly even a Major (especially, again, if he was in a combat unit, or a
presigious posting).  Additionally, he could be given a brevet rank of much
higher, if he particularly distinguished himself during his tenure.  (A
brevet rank, if you don't know, is a commission, granted as an honor,
promoting the officer without an increase in pay or authority.  Custer, for
instance, was a Brigadier General (brevet), although he was actually only a
Lt. Colonel in pay and responsibility, IIRC.)

Scott "probably am leaving out stuff, but this was a quick response"
Mickelson