Re: [DL] speed up combat resolution?

At 09:15 AM 6/28/00 +1200, you wrote:
>OK, just a quickie.
>
>I have decided that I'm getting weary of the lengths of time some combats
>take in my games. I love the Deadlands system, but it is true that there are
>a lot of dice to roll and it takes a while. Also, *because* there are so
>many dice rolls etc, it's hard to encourage players to get really
>descriptive with their actions etc, and it often degrades to "I rolled 22 to
>hit the 17, and did 21 damage).

<snip why da rulz are loooong>

>So, I'm looking for ways to speed up combat, and make it more roleplaying
>based.

First, I only use Stun checks when it's really nessessary to do so.
Westerns are filled with scenes of cowpokes taking a bullet, then shruging
it off a moment later.  However, if the giant beastie smashes a character
up against the side of train car, then I require a check.

Second, when the posse is fighting a lot of enemies (more than ten) I don't
use hit locations.  They roll to hit; if they get one raise, it's a gizzard
shot; two raises, a noggin shot.  Anything else I decide.  I know the odd
are changed by that, but I find it speeds up mass combat _a lot_.

Hope that helps

-Evil Marshal Mayfield
Have you had your Zombie today?

The Hell's Bunker- http://www.geocities.com/hellsbunker