[DL] first game

Hello, just wanted to talk to some other marshals and players and this is
the best place for it.  I ran my first full game on July 4th and we had a
blast.  Most of the players were from my D&D and GURPS groups and I didn't
know if they remembered how to role paly anymore( actually the GURPS group
isn't bad)

They all managed to work together, to keep their individual secrets and to
start a hole circle of interesting story lines in my town.  I had six
storylines running and I expected most of the players to devolve into small
groups all going their own way, but one of my players managed to pull in all
but two of the other players.

Anywho, I had a few questions and I was wondering how the rest of you handle
a few things.

1. Fate chips, other than for red jokers does anyone else hand them out in
the middle of a game.  I seemed to think that all fate chips were to be
rewarded at the end of the adventure.  However, I had one player who was
playing a Prussian immigrant, he had hankerin (big cigars) and habit
(picking his nose).  He came in with total arrogance, sat down at the table
of my Hucksters (they are a team of gamblers, one cheats and the other
distracts).  Now to fill you in the main huckster is my brother and I posted
about him before, he's the magican who constantly tries to chest with his
card manipulation.  Anyway the prussian lights a cigar and picks his nose
and wipes it on the table!  My brother actually refused to gamble with him
and PUT AWAY his Deck of cards!

BTW the guy playing the prussian actually did light up a cigar and yes he
did... the other thing... in Real.  It was cool, I wanted to give him a fate
chip on the spot for good use of his hinderances, instead I made a notion
and awarded him at the end.  Do you think i should have given him one right
there?

2. To be a bastard or not to be a bastard?  I've set up a town, even going
so far to map out a portion of it on parchment, that has Six storylines
running through the whole thing.  One was let go and that's no problem.  One
storyline was for a single character and whoever she could talk into helping
her, it was meant to take place over weeks ingame time.  However she was
spotted and I forced my hand.  Long story short almost every player has left
the town and gone over the mountains into Idaho to stalk a killer.

Ok the tough part, the town is fear level 3, with a mansion rating of  4.  I
have drawn out a chart which will have three of the storylines progress.
This should bring the mansion to a five, the stell works to a four and given
enough time the rest of the town into a 4.  Should I be a bastard and let
the storyline progress with out the players, and let them return to a more
hellish home?  I admit that they forced the other thread that they are
following but these are first time players, in DL anyway.

Well i can't think of much else now except that this game rules!  We played
until (here anyway) the sky literally opened and water poured from the
heavens.  No lie, drizzle to downpour in seconds and we had minimal cover.
People were scrambling to get cards out of the water and I was garbbing all
my books.  It went well until some one left my main back pack on the floor,
which flooded.  I don't think there's much damage but alot of my stuff got
wet and the cigar box holding my fate chips is starting to pulp.  All in all
and excellent game ended by the hand of god!

Thanx, sorry for the length, I babble even when I write,
KMC