Re: [DL] Thoughts on Adventures

At 11:59 PM 7/9/00 -0400, you wrote:

>>  Basically, we want to let the players take as large a part in the
>>evolution of the setting as possible, and this seemed the best way to do it.

>>  Thoughts?

Well, to be perfectly frank -- I don't like it.  (Or, at least, I don't
like it how you described it, I haven't picked up Ghost Busters yet.)

It just makes me think about some of the old TSR supplements -- the
campaign-world changers, like From the Ashes, The Immortal Storm, and
Dragonlance Fifth Age.  Since all the products published after the
campaign-changer just assumed you'd run them, those of us who chose not to
participate in that particular adventure 'cos we liked the world as it was
got left out.  It's not even a case of boycotting the company -- I COULDN'T
use anything published after Immortal Storm because those events didn't
happen in my version of Mystara.

So far, even though the "clock" has been advancing in the Weird West, it's
been pretty easy to adapt everything I've read to my own vision of the
game.  (A tip of that for that, as it's not easy to do.)  And this
particular voting question doesn't seem that important in the Grand Scheme;
if the vote were to go against my group, I could cope easily.

And when I see the earth-shattering consequences of the Doomtown CCG
tournaments and, even moreso, the L5R tournaments, I get nervous.

Either way, I wouldn't make use of the voting cards.  I don't think it's a
meaningful form of participation.  Whatever the result of the vote is, a
sizeable number of Marshalls are going to have to either ignore it or
retcon it.  And almost any Marshall is going to have to rework the
adventure to suit their posse before running it anyway, so the characters
involved aren't even going to be facing the same challenges to reach that
result.

Just seems kind of silly overall.  Didn't like it when it was TSR's Living
City, didn't like it when it was WEG's Infiniverse, don't like it now.

--
R. Serena Wakefield (raistw@gate.net)
Visit Serena's Roleplaying Dojo:  http://welcome.to/serenasdojo/