[DL] Re: Thought on Adventures [GOFF]

Hiya all!
Just a thought. The idea of this whole voting thing seems to be to get some
player participation into the offical storyline, presumably so we the
players of the game we all love so much can feel like we're involved in the
process of creating it. I personally feel this is great idea. One of the
things I love about Deadlands is that you people, the creators of this fine
game, have always been available to hear our comments and feelings, and
incorporate our wishes and desires into the game. Roleplaying by democracy
seems like a great idea.
However, in the case of Ghostbusters, it does leave a problem in regards to
the fact that people who go the other way with the plot have been left out
to dry. And to my mind, all published adventures are going to have this
problem.
But a possible solution is to use UNPUBLISHED ADVENTURES to determine the
storyline!
Look at it this way. Your books all have plot hooks that seem to have been
left there for GM's to play with. Obviously, to keep things safe with your
own storyline, these things happen kind of "independantly" of the metaplot
you people are constructing. So what about the results of these independant
plot devices?
Why not have GM's submit a version of how they dealt with the events
outlined in the plot. For example, I'm currently running an adventure based
on the events surrounding the Shan Fan Kumite. If submit the results once
they're done, perhaps even turning it into a Dime Novel style short story,
or possibly just the important stuff, you present it to your dark
masters...I mean co-workers...and see if you like what we did, and then it
can be put into a publication similar to the Epitaph (or maybe just into the
Epitaph) or possibly, at the end of the year, into something like ToT'77.
Now you're still going to have problems with some plots not matching
individual marshal's plots, but those will be less apparent, as you'll have
less marshal's using each individual plot device than you will have them
using published adventures. As these things are sort of stand-alone anyways,
it shouldn't create to much hacking to fit it back if you did do it
differently.
Even using things that have no basis in current plot elements would be a
good idea.
And of course, all these things could be determined on creative merit, not
random draw. And nothing would give us little Deadlanders a bigger thrill
than being able to contribute to game we love, and perhaps see our posse's
name in print.
Just some thoughts, what'ya think?
Reuben McCallum