[DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20000721

Ron said,

The codex(es? en?) from the warhammer sets
> are actually blatent attempts to squeeze more money from the players to
get
> the correct paint jobs for the figs but they do at least give some nice
> ideas about where to start and what kind of finished product to expect.

    <Bzzt> As bad as GW can be, the Codexes are part army list, but largely
background. No-one buys them to get "the correct paint jobs"- although the
official colour schemes can be a nice start. Pick up, for instance,
Warhammer Armies: High Elves, and what you're basically getting is the
complete background on your race- where they come from, why they're
fighting, etc. For the price, they're actually fantastic books (£8 compared
to the usual £10-£15 for a game book). If you think it's ridiculous to pay
all that for the small part which is actually the army list, just consider
the White Wolf Splatbooks, or the Agency book...

Rich said

> I was completely against slotted bases when the discussion originally
> came up, but after taking a break from GRW and playing Necromunda for a
> few months, I found that putting each figure on the same base makes the
> whole group look a lot better, not to mention being able to stand up
> almost anywhere.

    best thing about slottabases is it's so easy to customise the stances
and bases- 5 seconds with sidecutters takes poff all of the base. With a
moulded base, that can take AGES- cutters, files, knives, assorted pain, and
generally worse results. Slottabases are your friends.

AndrewC