Re: [DL] Buying Habits

Ross, I agree with you here.  Book buying patterns in
our group are based almost solely on financial access;
the Marshall and I have it, and therefore buy most of
the books.  I might have mentioned this before, but
when we first picked up DeadLands we easily spent $400
on all of what was out at the time, and recently did
it again getting caught up.  We currently own
-everything- short of three dime novels, the Boomtowns
set, and the three volume anthologies.  And that's
just because the Marshall's birthday is next month,
and I needed to get him -something.-  (When we ran out
of room on the game bookcase, we bought a new one!)

We're also notorious for buying everything and
anything, simply because we like new source material
and new systems, even if we have -no- intention of
ever playing the game.  I hate to use this as an
example here, but "Brave New World" ended up in that
camp.  We loved the concept and the art, but Zach (our
Marshall) was -constantly- frustrated with the lack of
information he got out of his sections of the books,
and we just decided if we were ever going to run the
concept, we'd take it to tried and true Champions.

As far as book access goes, our players are allowed
only Posse Territory for everything except Law Dogs
(and then only the Hexslinin' chapter; stop at the
"Lady J in a cowboy hat" picture) and the main rules.
Everything else is strictly "I see you in it, I kill
you".  Keep in mind we (a) still play with "first
edition" rules, and (b) we're still in 1876, so the
Back East series is still inappicable.

We don't have any repeat books at this point; the main
benefit of the entire posse minue one player all
living in the same place.  For things we all need
copies of, like gear lists and gun lists, we ran some
copies and I put together folders for people.  Usually
in game play the books all sit on top of the ice chest
next to the Marshall, and we pass them back and forth
when we need a rules call.

Marguerite of EMGB, otherwise known as Maggie Jensen

(p.s.  I've forwarded Goff's original message on to
the Marshall, asking for a response to the book
division thing.)

=====

Marguerite