[DL] Historical background request [McGlothin]

Greetings Deadlanders, Christopher McGlotgin in particular,
    I am trying to flesh out my Deadlands character who is
a veteran of the Union army who spent 1865-1869 serving as
a private soldier on Western duty (i.e. chasing Indians (Yes it
wasn't very P.C.) and the odd group of Confederates raiders).
I was wondering if anyone could suggest an infantry regiment
he might have served in.  If it makes it any easier, the character
in question is white and comes from Colorado.
    Thank you very much.
    Daniel Gwyn