RE: [DL] only a little OT, or not even, really.

> I was just wondering what everyone's Top Five RPGs of all
> time might be (in order or not).

1. Amber (Although the diceless aspect can get difficult, this game more
than any other encourages players to really get into their character and
ROLEplay to the full (since it's not possibly to ROLLplay *grin*). Also, the
game"world" is open enough that you can do anything and be anything as long
as you are creative. The only thing that can *really* make Amber suffer is a
bad GM. If you have a great one, you will be astounded at how good this game
can be).

2. Deadlands (Although the system can get intrusive (there are so many dice
to roll, especially in combat) the rest of the system is very cool and
topical (especially the cards and poker chips) and the setting and
background (and future, in HOE) are brilliant. Plus the writers and
producers are cool guys who spend (probably way too much) time getting
personal with the fans, which is a massive plus in my books.

3. Vampire (Now hear me out - it's very vogue to slam Vampire as a poser
goth "I'm in such despair" game, and maybe it has headed that way, but in
its day, Vampire was a revolutionary game that literally changed the face of
RPG's. More than any game before it (IMO), Vampire promoted substance over
system and encouraged true into-my-character roleplaying. It was (again IMO)
one of the first roleplaying games that de-emphasised combat and used it's
stats for other things. Be honest - in most RPG's, even Deadlands, the
entire system is geared *around* or at least *towards* combat, but Vampire
was different.)

4. AD&D (Again, not a game I would play anymore, but lets face it - 95% of
us were weaned on D&D or AD&D. These days less so, but go back to the
earlier days of RPGing (those of us old enough to remember) and AD&D was the
big one that everyone else aspired to be(/beat). And the Swashbuckler kit
for Thieves was cool *grin*)

5. Warhammer FRPG (As fantasy RPG's go this is still one of the better ones
- the professions keep characters interesting and give them something new to
strive for (rather than being stuck in a particular class/kit/whatever
permanently) and although the system had some problems (some stats were out
of ten, some were percentiles, some were other things) and the spell system
sucked enormous piles of donkey crap, the game itself was very good.)

Honorable Mentions - Feng Shui (astounded nobody mentioned this one yet),
Call of Cthulhu, Mage the Ascention, In Nomine, Kult, Star Wars RPG, LUG's
Star Trek line.

For-the-love-of-god-don't-ever-play-these-games - Changeling the Dreaming,
Judge Dredd RPG, Senzar.

Brian "All comments IMO. If you are a writer of Changeling, Judge Dredd or
Senzar then sorry dude, but your game sucks" Leybourne.

.-->
"The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted
sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there.
Type in 'Find people who have sex with goats that are on fire' and the
computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Brian Leybourne
brian.leybourne@airnz.co.nz
bleybourne@hotmail.com
error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.