[DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20000808-2

Ross said,

> The Patterson was Colt's first commercial effort.  It was initially a
> pistol (the one shown), single-action, with no trogger guard and a
> snap-down trigger, then eventually the rifle was made, of which I am less
> conversant, as far as its history goes (I am essentially taking the
> Deadlands guys' word for it, and since I was able to find an image of the
> revolving rifle, it seems pretty solid).
 Perhaps Paterson was the first manufacturing firm or something?

    That'd make sense. I read a background thing that said that the Paterson
rifle was originally manufactured by someone else and Colt redesigned it so
that it wouldn't just blow the user's face off 50/50. I've also seen a
replica with Colt marked clearly under the cylinder, so it definately
existed. Thanks for your help...

AndrewC