Re: [DL] Is this place dead or what?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:42:11 -0600, deadlands@gamerz.net wrote:

>  If GenCon could draw people in as well as you say, then why aren't you
>  there now? Because it's too far away to drive.  The reason why it's
>  stayed in Milwaukee this whole time, and why it's moving to (shudder)
>  Indianapolis is because that's a reasonable drive from most places in the
>  lower 48.  East Coasters can get there in 2 days tops, maybe a little
>  more for Southeasterners.  Gamers from the west coast get screwed a bit,
>  but Indianapolis is pretty central, when you condsider population
>  densities.
>  What they need are more big regional conventions: a West Coast con in
>  Northern California, a Southern Con in East Texas, etc.  This way, there
>  will be at least a fairly large con near almost everybody, even if they
>  can't make it to GenCon, especially since it and Origins are going to be
>  only about 200 miles apart once the move to that terrible place is
>  complete.

Now here is the problem with that... Ask anybody at PEG if they have the
time, energy and money to attend 4 huge cons every year.  In addition to the
two or three that they already attend.  You just can't do it.  Something is
always going to get lost in the shuffel.  I would love for there to be a
local NorthWest Gencon to compete with the regular one and the one in the UK
but if PEG couldn't make it what's the point.

I know I barely have the money to go to the regular gencon, but 4 or 5 a
year would bankrupt the gameing public and the gameing idustry in general.
We'd spend all our money on hotels and gas and airfair and have nothing left
over to buy books, dice, and pizza.  PEG would go under and there would be
no more deadlands, or gurps, or shadowrun...you get the point.  All I'm
saying is why do they have to have the bloody thing in the middle of the US.
put it on the west coast where the climate is sunny and the women wear thong
bikinis to the Con. (not that they don't already but ah nevermind) Move it
from year to year.  I'd go no matter where they have it but when they leave
it in BFE I just say "Well it's pizza for every game session and a stack of
new rule books to show off at piddly con this year or one three day trip to
gen con...which one will keep the companies I like in buisness longer.

Ron "loves to argue" Conner

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html