[DL] Lost Edges

   One of my player's character recently lost their
animal companion, a dog named Bama.  The dog was shot
up by some cyborgs and then the templar tried to stop
his bleeding and botched, killing the dog off.  They
buried Bama in the woods only to be awaked in the
early morning by scratching sounds.  They discovered
that Bama had dug his way out and with filmy eyes, a
permanent limp and an oozing wound he was still living
(as a harrowed).  Well needless to say this didn't sit
to well with the party so they voted and put Bama down
for good.
   my question is should the character be able to find
another animal companion (he did pay the points
initial) or should he have to gain the edge again?
Let me know what you guys think.
                                    Horace Black