[DL] Newbie question

Forgive my ignorance, after reading the players handbook all the way
through, I am a bit overwhelmed to say the least.  So I was hoping the
answer to my question might clear some other questions up as well.

Could someone give me a brief combat scenario including die rolls, and for
what purpose those die rolls are made.  Also the main confusion I am having
is understanding how damage is dealt/handled.  Say you hit me for such and
such amount of damage...How do I monitor my "health", and how do I "heal"
myself afterwards.  I understand that there are doctor types, and the
medicine skill set, but I am still confused on how I actually calculate the
damage into wounds and then distribute those wounds, and how many wounds
kills me..

I played in the Doomtown scenario at GenCon, but we never actually took
damage, only dealt it, due to time constraints.  So I could'nt really get a
solid feel for how that was handled.

Thanks so much for any responses...and kudos to the PEG staff for their
outstanding customer service, and for taking the time to answer as many
questions as we had at the Con!

Soon to be Marshall Mathers