RE: [DL] Newbie question

> Could someone give me a brief combat scenario including die rolls, and for
> what purpose those die rolls are made.  Also the main confusion I am having
> is understanding how damage is dealt/handled.  Say you hit me for such and
> such amount of damage...How do I monitor my "health", and how do I "heal"
> myself afterwards.  I understand that there are doctor types, and the
> medicine skill set, but I am still confused on how I actually calculate the
> damage into wounds and then distribute those wounds, and how many wounds
> kills me..

At the beginning of combat, all participants roll their Quickness Trait to determine how many
actions each character gets. Everybody gets 1 card so long as they don't bust the roll, and an
additional card for each success and raise. Once all action cards have been spent, everybody
rolls Quickness again to determine how many cards they get in the next round.

When your action comes up, you can make an attack (or another action if you choose not to
go firing your sidearrm all the time). To attack, you roll your Aptitude appropriate to the
weapon. For instance, if you are using a rifle, you roll your Shootin': Rifle Aptitude. The base
target to hit is 5, modified by things such as cover, size of the target, and how fast they are
moving. If you hit, roll a d20 for hit location. Now, you roll the damage dice listed for your
weapon. Take the total of the damage dice rolled, including aces, rather than the highest
single roll. Divide the total by the target's Size, ignoring remainders, to determine how many
wounds the target received in the hit location you rolled. For instance, if you shoot somebody
in the leg and do 19 damage, and that person is Size 6, you have dealt them 3 wounds to the
leg. Wounds can be cancelled immediately by spending Fate Chips. If a wound is not
negated with Fate Chips, it must be healed with supernatural powers (such as a Blessed's
laying on hands) or through natural healing. Most characters can make a natural healing roll
once every 5 days (or is it a week?). Medicine and Surgery, to my understanding, are more
to help end blood loss and increase the success rate of natural healing than to heal wounds
outright. Hope that helps!