Re: [DL] Universities and Mad Science

 >What are the major American universities of the time, and what is their
 >relationship to Mad Science? Since Mad Science plays havoc with some of the
 >scientific laws being formulated at this time, how is the
 >scientific/academic community reacting? Do they see Mad Science-types as
 >upstarts not worthy of notice, or are  universities devoting research
 >facilities to study these new phenomena? This will impact a couple of
 >adventures I'm cooking up, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey there,
	Any university that existed prior to 1863 exists, and it's probably safe
to say that any university that existed in 1877 does so also.
	As for attitudes - I've always seen the real scientist's attitudes towards
the "new" science as one similar to the attitudes towards paranormal
research.  Some scientists dismiss it utterly, some have an open mind,
etc.  However there are two critical differences.  The first is that, well,
Mad Science works - which goes a long way to giving the discipline some
"credibility".  In fact, it is very likely that there are some theories
being bandied about in regards to this "new" branch of science and why the
results cannot be duplicated - personal auras powering the device,
mentalist based science, etc.  The second factor is that there is big
government money in mad science.  While the traditional scientists look
upon the works of mad scientists with puzzlement and dismissal, they look
upon the grants those scientists get with great envy.

Even in a traditional school where the faculty may be trying to preserve
the dignity of the sciences (or some such), the administration is probably
doing everything it can in order to initiate full fledged programs to
support mad scientists.

New schools since 1863 (and future ones) are probably going to have a very
strong support for mad science - The New Mexico School of Mines, est. 1889
(?) is probably going to be one such school.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/deadlands/index.html

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Mark Lane:
There is new, irrefutable evidence that the chicken did not act alone.