Re: [DL] Universities and Mad Science

--- Allan Seyberth <darious@darious.com> wrote:
>  >What are the major American universities of the
> time, and what is their
>  >relationship to Mad Science? Since Mad Science
> plays havoc with some of the
>  >scientific laws being formulated at this time, how
> is the
>  >scientific/academic community reacting?
> 	As for attitudes - I've always seen the real
> scientist's attitudes towards
> the "new" science as one similar to the attitudes
> towards paranormal
> research.  Some scientists dismiss it utterly, some
> have an open mind,
> etc.
> Even in a traditional school where the faculty may
> be trying to preserve
> the dignity of the sciences (or some such), the
> administration is probably
> doing everything it can in order to initiate full
> fledged programs to
> support mad scientists.

Point of thought, just how obvious is a Mad Scientist?
 Sure if he's riding around on a steam wagon, toting a
flamethrower he'll stick out in a crowd, but what if
he didn't have any gadgets with him?  How easy would
he be to spot and identify as a MS, as opposed to a
regular scientist or university professor?  I'm sure
there would be several universities that have Mads
working for them, but no one knows they are Mad
Scientists.  Why?  They keep their work secret (due to
prejudice), and since it's not something explainable,
it's not something they can or will try to teach.  Any
teacher at a university can really be a MS.

Need inspiration?  There are several Disney movies
based off of the idea of the eccentric professor who
still teaches classes and only a few people know of
his gizmos.

-Munch Wolf