Re: [DL] Metaphysics (Goff)

At 11:32 PM 8/16/00, you wrote:
>Okay, it's been a long time since I've actually made a post to the list.
>But, I'm going to be brave and question the Goff's position on the
>miscellaneous arcane backgrounds.
>
>Basically, by putting Martial Artists/Tempests/etc into the same category
>as Hucksters (and other dabblers in the dark arts), you change the tone of
>the game.  In effect, you say that if it's not provided by a higher power,
>it's just like dealing with a darker power.  I would actually prefer
>having category C.
>
>Of course, I may be confusing the effect with the concepts behind the
>effect.  It's encouraging to me to see that man has developed ways to tap
>the Hunting Grounds without any help from saints or devils (to use a
>Blessed's terms).  Now, if the message is simply that anything not
>sanctioned by a deity is corruptable, that doesn't sound so bad.  My point
>is that a huckster should suffer more than a martial artist or tempest,
>because he chose the road he's going down.  Our category C folks are
>generally unaware that they're getting their mojo from the same source.

My understanding was this:

It is not so much just like dealing with a darker power (esp to the big guy
upstairs) but it can be about as dangerous.  This is esp. True in the Syker
Backlashes, a table that leaves me cringing like no other.  For Martial
Arts, it is less dangerous, but also more easily counter able, since a
supernatural being is not channeling it, some schlep off the street is.

TBS