Re: [DL] Harrowed - Spoilers

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:56:12 EDT, deadlands@gamerz.net wrote:

>  >Unlike the werewolf and the vampire harrowed
>  > corrution points are not availble for buyback, even >with legend chips.
Once
>  > you are on the road to hell my friend you don't come >back easy.
>
>  Although a bit harsh at first, I liked the way you started.  This last
statement makes me think that you are merely setting the harrowed up to a
permanent fall, something few players would like depending on how attached
they are to their character. It also seems easy for the marshall to abuse
just because he has a bad day or has something currently personal between
himself and a player, not a nice thought, but a possibility.  I would tend
to opt toward allowing the legend chip buyback if you use this method,
though it fyou think that is too light, make it 2 Legend chips per
corruption point.  That would certainly strike fear into the heart of a
player and yet still give them a way out, assuming they make their
tale-telling roles.

>  Walter Carmichael

There is a fine line between sadism and genious.  Or maybe that was
insanity? Oh well.  Here is what I really mean by that last part.  The
corruption points scored by a werewolf or vampire come when they knowingly
accept their burdens and use them for either their own advantage or to
assist them in some way.  The use of powers on their part might EARN them a
legend chip in some way.  By useing a werewolfs supernatural healing,
resistance to pain and super human strength to rip the current baddie a new
cornhole.

The harrowed in this case has used and abused his powers in a way that makes
the innocent suffer/die.  To kill the helpless or abuse ones power in a way
that has no benificial use whatsoever is in my mind something that deserves
non-chipable corruption points.

The total explaination here is that the marshal never forces the player to
do anything.  You always have free will.  If your character chooses to make
a shot that he knows is risky and the backlash from that is that he kills an
innocent person then the marshal will make your suffer the concequences of
your actions.  In the character's mind, the action that they just performed
brings them pleasure, in some way.  The manitou stops struggleing for a
time, and releases it's own power to make the harrowed stronger.  The
reckoners always like it better when their servants come willingly.

I also wouldn't tell the harrowed that he was getting corruption points.
They are not so much a game effect as they are a yard stick of how far you
have to go before you become a complete monster.  If you stop before you
reach that point and begin to make atonement for all the evil that you've
done, then I might say sure you can lose a corruption point, make a quest,
get an excorcism, and then spend a legend chip and if somebody can forgive
you for what you've done, say the orphaned son of the lady you shot trying
to stop El bandito, then yeah I'll remove that corruption point and the
power that came with it.

Good intentions...you know where they go and what happens when you get
there.

This is all only useful if you have an abuseive harrowed in the first place.
Keep in mind that there are some perfectly nice harrowed who just have a bad
day every now and then.  I wouldn't use these rules all the time but only as
a last resort.

What I really like about them is it blends nicely with the roleplaying
element of the game and is counter to everything that munchkins hold dear.
Everything they do works against them until they give up their evil ways and
repent the gun bunny way.

Ronald Conner
"Hey! Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html