Re: [DL] Are We Doing It Correctly?

>     We're new to Deadlands and after a recent combat are a bit concerned.
>  was the Marshal and had created an NPC which should not have had any
>  problem getting away from the PCs. He could become mist, etc.. But when
the
>  PCs got in a fire fight with him, he was unable to even get an free
action
>  because one of the PCs went first and wounded him badly using open-ended
>  rolls for damage. He was stunned and, using open-ended rolls for Wind,
was
>  heavily Winded. It got to the point where he needed four Aces in a row in
>  order to have a hope of becoming unstunned. So the PCs killed him where
he
>  lay.
>     Does that sound right? It seems quite...extreme.

Good rules for NPC combat.

1.Stun is a nice thing to use.  But limit it for occasions where there is
blunt impact or some sort of serious trauma.  Critical wounds, falling and
non-lethal damage are your best bets.

2.For NPC's Don't bother with wind.  Damage is hard to track without a lot
of paperwork so this is one you can skip.  Unless he is harrowed, or there
is some sort of bleeding involved.  Wind is only really necessary when a PC
is trying to knock somebody out without killing them I only really use it
for big baddies.

3.Without looking at your NPC's stats. I can't say that he was any good at
anything.

4. Actions: npcs don't need to roll for actions.  just give them however
many you think they deserve.  for groups just give one or two and then let
them all act together.

5. If you want the little bugger to live then just FUDGE!  Its your game run
it how you want to.  if you want a shot to miss just say the shot misses.
You don't have to tell the posse the target number just let them roll and
you can decide how things go from there.
It's a kinda underhanded way to go about things.  But it works better for
the story when the NPC's live and pass on vital information.

Ron "Sneaky bastard" Conner

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html