RE: [DL] Marshal Fudging (was: Are We Doing It Correctly?

At 08:21 AM 8/24/00, you wrote:
> >but I almost never fudge...I have only a couple times in my Marshalling, as
>
> >much for my Posse as against.
>
>I hear ya!
>Typically, I end up fudging a roll (or throwing away action cards) so that I
>don't kill a posse member when they don't deserve to die.  (For example, a
>"Chip soaker" encounter...)

right.  I follow.

Here is my biggest fudge (no player from the game is still onlist)
We had a Mad Scientist, who had an item that, unbeknownst to him, caused
manitou possession.  briefly.  The item possessed him into blowing up part
of the airship he was on, and jumping off, since he was not harrowed and
his death would not harm the manitou.
The player spent his chips to absorb wounds.  The posses all spent chips (2
for one, of course)  to cancel wounds.  he had four wounds to the guts
after it was over with.
Given I had caused a good part of his grief and removed all the chips the
party had....I fudged his wind loss roll, by 4, so he did not bleed to
death before the Posse could get down there.  he still lost and arm and a leg.

>Of course, there is the *occasional* time when the Big Bad Guy (tm) would
>have gotten dropped by one lucky shot in the first combat action ("17 wounds
>to the HEAD!" chunka-chunka...ohh...reroll...ohh...reroll....Holy
>crap!...reroll...counts with fingers..."He DODGES!")

yea

> >My rule: if a Marshal would be happy playing the game he runs, great.  I
> >run a game I'd love to play in.  Often, tho not always (there are glaring
> >exceptions), this is a sign of a Good Marshal.
>
>Assuming, of course, that this is the type of game the Players want to play
>in, as well...
well, a good marshal also looks for that...another sign. ;-)