Re: [DL] Cover Art: A New Spin

At 05:34 PM 8/24/00, you wrote:
>--- The Baron Samedi <baron11@netmcr.com> wrote:
> > I have mixed feelings on him. He has had some covers
> > I really liked (Law
> > Dogs, Fire and Brimstone) and some crap (Last
> > crusaders)
> >
> > all IMHO
> >
> > TBS
>
>I think this is exactly the problem with selecting art
>for any book - every person has their own opinions,
>and it would, I imagine, boil down to trying to please
>the largest number of people, while keeping the budget
>in mind.  I can't say much for Hexarcana, I'm not
>allowed in the book (yet!), but the cover was alright.
>  I think it's pretty safe to say we all love Brom art
>but I completely understand Pinnacle probably can't
>afford to cover every book with his images, even if
>they are recycled.

I think that is a safe notion that we al like Brom. ;-)

I understand as well that that is far from their price range barring they
sell their cars.

>Maybe a more useful turn for this conversation to take
>would be the feel you'd like conveyed with the art.
>Personally, I like the horror factor some of the older
>books convey, Law Dogs especially.  Sure, it looks
>like a normal ol' Sheriff, but take a good look at her
>eyes or the "corpse" hangin' from the gallows, and you
>get the feeling you're missing something here,
>something important.

I can see it.

>Sure, eye candy is nice, but I would vote for the art
>in future books to accomplish two things:
>
>1.  Give me an emotional reaction in keeping with the
>world.  If you want to uplift my spirits, give me
>glowing halos around the heroes.  Patriotism?  Slap
>that flag all over the place.  Want to scare me?
>Either show me something so mind-boggeling blatent I
>can't help but metaphorically wet myself, or take a
>seemingly regular picture and warp it in small, subtle
>some way that catches my eye and leaves me feeling
>both uneasy and intrigued.

sounds good.  For horror, I prefer the latter to the former.

>2.  Don't spoil anything for me.  Yes, I know, I'm a
>player and by definition I have less access to the
>world's Deep Dark Secrets (tm) than the Marshall.  But
>nothing spoils the turning point of a horrific
>adventure like realizing I've seen that abomination
>before in all it's four-color glory.  Obviously,
>however, this can go both ways; maybe a cover picture
>could be intentionally misleading for all those
>munchkins out there.  "What do you mean my flaming
>tomahawk won't kill the dinosaur???  The guy on the
>cover did!!!

This makes sense to me too...and PEG has been guilty of doing that before...

>Marguerite of EMGB, otherwise known as Maggie Jensen

TBS

TBS