[DL] Re: PEG Internal Art

----- Original Message ----- >
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:57:15 +0100
> From: roy.ster@virgin.net
> Subject: [DL] PEG Internal Art (Goff)
>

> I don't know if there is any way to say this politely, but am I the
> only one to think that the art within Hexarcana sucked big time.  I
> will clarify this a bit by saying that, I am not meaning the full
> splash pages at the end of each chapter, but the smaller art
> throughout the book.

<snip art rant!>

Okay. Having disagreed very much on the previous art post, I will now agree
with you, sort of.  ;-)

Pinnacle's interior art, in my opinion, has always been... uneven at best.
Sometimes it's absolutely fantastic (Sawbones p. 104 of Hell On Earth, and
p. 119 of Monsters Muties and Misfits [HoE]), sometimes it's good ("The
Joker" p. 108 of Hucksters and Hexes), and sometimes its bad (The Ningyo p.
101 of M,M, and Misfits). I know all companies have good and bad interior
art, but sometimes - you're right - Pinnacle's seems a bit under par.
Particularly when you consider that the books themselves are *always* well
written and interesting (except for the movement rules, but that's a
different matter altogether).
It kills me to see a fantastic book hurt by bad art. I know good artists are
expensive and so I don't hold it against Pinnacle too much. After all, I'd
rather have a good book with bad art than a bad book that looks nice.
Hexarcana's full page pieces (chapter art) were pretty good. I, almost
without exception, like every piece of Full Page art I've ever seen in a
Deadlands book. It's the little boxes that tend to fall short of the mark.
Or never leave the barrel.

I hope that as the Deadlands property grows (through Doomtown and RangeWars)
that it will bring Pinnacle to the forefront of the industry where it
belongs.

Sinister Dexter
sinisterdexter@mindspring.com