RE: [DL] Are We Doing It Correctly? (minor spoilers)

At 05:35 PM 8/25/00, you wrote:
> >   Which is why he had two methods of escape, pretty durn good armor, and
> >the ability to use Hexes.
>
>Don't use Hexes for the bad guys - it's too unreliable - use Black
>Magic.  That way you can control what power level you want and don't have
>to worry too much about whether or not it comes off.

I tend to agree, except if the PCs are to be fighting a Huckster.  If they
are fighting a Huckster, I uses Hexes.  However, I almost never use Hexes
for, say, a monsters powers.  Allen is, as usual, pretty much on the money.

This for two reasons.  One, I can have the Powers work most of the time
(still not always, but a vast majority)  and second,  I won't get 10d20
damage when I did not intend this bad guy to be able to cook the PCs so
easily.  Black Magic can be regulated and have a set effect.

The problem with BM is when I want an NPC to have magic but is not wholly
evil.  Then sometimes I use hexes or, now, Witch spells.  However, for the
forces of Darkness, BM is usually the way except an evil
Huckster.  Sometimes, Evil Hucksters just work better for the plot.  That,
and my players tend to freak if they realize they are fighting one. ;-)

> >   So if the sheriff is Protected and walks into Michael, Michael could
> >have touched him or could have stood there if the sheriff touched him?
> >Because I don't see any choice on Michael part but to get out of the way
> >when that happened.
>
>He could have stood there.  And - with the right powers - dropped part of
>the ceiling on Michael.  :-)
>---

true.  One of the advantages most Bolts o' Doom have on Soul
Blast-Collateral damage.

>Allan Seyberth
>darious@darious.com
>Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/deadlands/index.html