Re: [DL] boring fights? (long)

I've found that combats tend to take a long time in our group, since we
pretty much tend to default to guns (no hucksters or hexslingers where we
come from), and our group motto could be: "Teamwork? What's that?" We *have*
been working on that, but it's going to take a while to coordinate our
efforts efficiently. We're also five posse members now, which means that
many more actions/cards/bullets/stun checks.

On the other hand, I don't think that anyone in our posse finds the combats
boring. Usually we're within two inches of our lives from the first second
to the last, and there's relatively little player discussion of tactics and
the like (not sure whether that's a good thing or not). I haven't noticed
all that much absenteeism from the table during combat (unless it's an
emergency ;-); those who aren't acting right then usually provide background
narrative ("That shot must've taken him right in the eye: he dies
messily."), or spend chips to save the backsides of the rest of us who
usually don't have any chips left by the end of the encounter.

The three-second rule also seems to help. Something along the lines of:
"Jacks. What're you doing?" and if the player waits too long: "Three...
two... one... okay, you hesitate."

We've settled on stun checks instead of wind loss, which seems to speed
things up slightly, except in special circumstances. Also, when a character
is killed/incapacitated, having them play random NPCs occupies them and
gives a slightly different tilt to the combat (that way the other players
have a more difficult time second-guessing the bad guys, since someone other
than the Marshal is controlling them).

JM2C,

Daphné
--