Re: [DL] New Edge

>> For each point of this edge when you fail a guts check, except for a bust,
>>  you may subtract this level from the result on the scart table
>>
>>  Opinions are welcome
>
> Effectively this sounds like the same as earning Grit, only in a reverse
> manner.  I.E.  instead of added to your roll you are subtracting from the
> difficulty.  Effectively this is the same thing.  As grit is so dangerous to
> get, and on top of that 5 grit plus 5 in this Edge would mean that you would
> simply be unafraid of anything leads me to be of the opinion that this is
> simply too powerful.
>
> Walt "Everybody's afraid of somethin' " Carmichael

Either you've misunderstood, or I have. The way I understood it is that this
is *not* like grit, because you're subtracting on the "Scart" result rather
than your "guts" check. Thus if you rolled a 24 and gained a "major phobia,"
with one point of this edge you would effectively get a result of only 21
and gain a "minor phobia." Two points would put you at "dead faint," three
at "weak in the knees," and so forth.

However, even in this instance it sounds rather too powerful. If you had
five points in this edge you would never go beyond a "dead faint," and you
would mostly never *really* be affected by the abominations you encounter.

I'd say make this a one-point edge like "nerves o' steel" at best, and have
it allow you to ignore wind lost through sheer terror, or maybe have it
allow you to take away one die from your "scart" roll (but that would be
*way* powerful, again).

Just some thoughts...

Daphné
--