Re: [DL] Pinnacle sold... (now with On-Topic Additive)

J Tolle wrote:

> As I have argued before, in the gaming industry, a rising tide lifts all boats.  All
> RPG's stands to benefit from an increased profile of the hobby.  WOTC's plan was to
> increase that profile, and Hasbro will (if al goes well) help them realize this
> goal.

While reading this, I was struck by a vision:

Roleplaying becomes the Next Big Thing, much like Pokemon.  The RPG
industry shifts into overdrive, and starts putting out huge dollups of
product.  Eventually, people like Steve Jackson and WotC start buying up
other RPGs.  Maybe even Palladium.

The result?  An equivalent of mega-corporations in the RPG industry.
And they're all backed by toy companies and other, even bigger
corporations.

Now, here's my question:  Would this hurt the industry?  Like it hurt
the computer industry?

In my opinion, maybe not.  The internet being what it is, and with the
huge wealth of fan-spawned information available, quality writing might
still be available.  The only difference being, it wouldn't be hardbound
with full-color artwork.

What does everyone else think?  How important has the internet become to
Roleplaying?
--
                      Chris Nelson <cnelsonweb@hotmail.com>
                                             HTML Terrorist