Re: [DL] Pinnacle sold... (now 75% more OT)

At 12:56 AM 9/17/00 -0700, you wrote:

>> But do we (as experienced non-munchkin gamers) really want 1/8th of the
>> snotty kids who bought into pokemon to start playing D&D?  I am a long time
>> gamer, and when I got involved in a Magic the Gathering tournament, I found
>> the attitudes of many of the other contestants more than a trifle pushy and
>> irritating.  Yes, I know, I'm being elitist, but if Hasbro brings in
>> "Pokemoners", D&D will be pulled Munchkin-wards far faster.
>>           Daniel Gwyn
>
>It seems to me that most gaming companies can't afford such elitism. The
>fact remains that munchkin-type players and rules lawyers (the two often go
>hand in hand) are the ones who will buy the most books and other related
>stuff, and thus bring in more cash.
>
>This doesn't automatically mean that D&D (or any other game) would be
>"pulled Munchkin-wards," IMHO. After all, what's to prevent veteran players
>from guiding the young and inexperienced in the wonderful world that is good
>roleplaying? It makes no sense to simply shut them out: just thwack them
>over the head with miscellaneous problems they can't solve with violence
>until they figure it out. Then you get a whole new generation of players to
>whine and kvetch about the munchkinism of the younger players ;-)

Agreed.  I've actually done this in our group.  A player who basically got
into the game because a) all his friends played and b) there were lots of
guns.  I was careful to give an even mix of combat situations and
situations that couldn't be solved with violence.  After a few sessions,
the player was still a bit trigger-happy, but didn't blow people away
because they looked at him funny.  I found that giving the guy chips
whenever he solved something peacably really helped.

If you don't have the patience to do that sort of thing, then there's
abosulutely no reason you have to play with the "snotty kids who bought
into pokemon".  Birds of feather- you and your friends, the experience
role-players form your own group, and the pokemon-er's form their own, both
with play styles that suit them.  You'll both be playing the game the way
you want to, and you'll both be buying Deadlands and supporting PEG.  Yay!

-Evil Marshal Mayfield
Zombie: Itchy. Tasty.
The Hell's Burrow- http://hellsburrow.webjump.com
The Hell's Bunker- http://hellsbunker.webjump.com