[DL] combined books

I have never run a game company so I can't address the problems you are
facing directly, other than to tell you my views of it.

Personally, I think the combined thing is a bad idea.  Right now I buy
everything you put out for Weird West.  Under the new format, I'd only buy
issues that had significantly more Deadlands content than HOE.  You might
make more money from others but for my part, you'll lose...

I would like to ask Shane or John one question since they have the
experience running a gaming company.  Would it be possible or cost effective
to maybe run a monthly PEG magazine at a reasonable price?  I'm thinking of
something like TSR's Dragon mag or Games Workshop's White Dwarf mag.  Keep
it priced at $5-7 and open the submissions up to freelance work.  Maybe a
monthly editorial from Shane and a monthly "making your game better" column
from Goff and the rest is mostly freelance written.  Maybe 3-4 issues a year
have a good sized adventure or two written by a PEG writer but let us supply
everything else.  Deadlands fiction, house rules, historical articles, maybe
even a "bet you didn't know" kind of thing with weird little historical
facts like the one on mummies that came up here last week. There are lots of
starving authors out there (I am one myself) who are happy to work on the
cheap.  Pay people who write articles with a signed Deadlands book of their
choice or something.  You'd be shocked how many submissions you'll get and
it costs you guys the wholesale of a book plus the 5 seconds it takes to
throw on your John Hancock.  The Epitaph was a good start but just too
expensive. I'd buy a monthly mag at $6 if it were of the same quality as
Dragon but all PEG stuff...  It's a lot easier to overlook all the HOE stuff
for $6 than for $15...

iWon.com       http://www.iwon.com     why wouldn't you?