[DL] Re: Combined Format

Hey Folks
I know I'm probably wading into this debate a little late, but I've been
deprived of computer access lately. But I want to put a little perspective
on it.
In the four years deadlands WW has had sourcebooks on the Great Maze, The
City o' Gloom, The Mississipi river region, sourcebooks for the north and
south, a source book south o' the border, one little boomtown explored in
Depth (Doomtown or Bust!), has released a yearly update, and a wide array of
character books. Honesty, I can't see the necessity for setting specific
sourcebooks for that game anymore. Sure, it'd be nice to see Europe, but
that's, strictly speaking, well out of the brief of deadlands innit? I mean,
as interesting as post-reckoning china would be, it's limited, isn't it?
The new line of books will be, I think, more generic, cross-setting stuff;
hunting grounds things, storylines, rules, and that sort of stuff. There
will be still setting specific stuff, and that will probably cover your
location specific stuff (like, one hopes, Great Wierd North - Twin Peaks
here I come!), and they haven't given up on it. But I would shudder to think
that Peg might start bringing out sourcebooks that are multiply redundant
(like a hunting grounds sourcebook for each of the settings, etc.) Already,
I bring a fair swath of my WW books to my HoE game (not visa-versa - much.
My Undead Scrapper with the Zap power, a primitive genesis of modern
cyborgs, is another, nastier, story...). It becomes especially confusing
when there are small combat rules in a WW book here that I want to use, one
in HoE book, probably a miscellaneous rule here and there, and I'm buying
heaps of books at no appreciable gain. When they do a rules update, put it
in a generic book, instead of speading between two (or soon to be three)
books.
There's a good much bit of Deadlands WW material. I certainly don't feel
that if they never produced another sourcebook for it, and concentrated on
storyline stuff, the setting would be left hideously underdeveloped (like so
many games gone the way of the dinosaur; Dark Sun, Earthdawn,
Spelljammer...). They've done an admirable job of creating the west; there's
a few gaps (Texas Rangers, GWN), but that could be dealt with easily, in
time, with a couple of releases. I'm not that Desperate for the Great Dark
Downunder sourcebooks (but please, please, please let me write it if you
do!), and could live without further expansive or inspansive setting
specific source material. I'll pack the rifle and get on board a returning
refugee boat if they stop the storyline however, but I think that's where
most of the future source material will be.
In any case, that's my belated 1.1 cents (including current exchange rate)
Reuben McCallum