[DL] Re: Combined Format

Greetings All!
I figured that, given all the brew-ha-ha, I should
throw my 2 cents in about the "combined format"
isssue.

When I first saw that this was going to happen, I
thought it was a bad idea.  No more full sourcebooks,
just snippets and articles.  I was further worried by
the fact that many people on the list began saying
they'd wouldn't buy a CF book.  Honestly, I buy
whatever Pinnacle puts out.  I buy them at the
exclusion of all other games, so I don't have quite
the cash crunch other people here do.  However, no
matter how many books *I* buy, if Shane and Co. lose
40% of their customers when this happens, then they go
belly up, and no more books for me.  All in all, I
thought it was a suicide move.  Then I realized
something.

How many more sourcebooks could they make?

I mean, in Deadlands, there's a sourcebook for every
AB, a sourcebook or boxed set on every region of the
US/CS, 2 monster books, and a bunch of other things.
HOE is much same way; the core stuff is set down.
After a while, more sourcebooks would get silly.  They
would either A: Just become lists o' stuff (ala
Shadowrun and AD&D) or B: become absurbly specialized
(Someone earlier joked about Nebraska farmer
sourcebook).

I realized that the new format is the way to go.  The
PEG crew will get the opportunity to expand out into
the things listed above, without having to make a full
sized, $20 (thats $150,000 canadian apparently...)
book on it.  Don't forget, Shane did say there will be
more single-system books; GWN and the Texas Ranger
book will most likely see the light of day.  We'll get
a book on Throckmorton's Denver and Silas' Vegas.
Hell, we'll get a full set of LC books- they have to
get the basic set down.

No one loses anything in this deal- Pinnacle makes
money, we get a more diverse set topics covered,
topics that might not see the light of day otherwise.
Plus, we'll have more input as to what get put in the
CF books- Want Deadlands Europe?  They probably
wouldn't make a full sourcebook for it under the old
system, but under the CF system, you might see an
article on it every issue.  Want info on the life of a
muckraker?  A muckraker sourcebook wouldn't sell too
well, but a CF piece on it would be a shoe-in.

In Summary,

1) We get exactly what we want
2) Pinnacle makes big profits
3) Shane rewards the faithful with solid gold houses
and rocket cars (well, maybe not...)

Sounds good to me!

P.S.- In case anyone didn't know, the Canadian money
crack is a joke.  I like those crazy canucks as much
as the next American...
Which I guess isn't all that much...  ;)
"Ummm...Canada...We ran out trees.  Get out."

=====
"I was a warped little boy.  Now I'm out to warp the youth of America."- Weird Al Yankovic
Remember, conformity is the mother of obscurity;
be true to yourself in everything you do.
Happy Roleplaying,
-The Smiling Bandit <Strikes Again!/Ha-Ha-Ha>