Re: [DL] Fan Submissions/editing (was: Re: Combined Format

In a message dated 9/27/00 12:18:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Pat.Phalen@infores.com writes:

<< From a logistical, project/production management point of view it would be
 *major* headache to pull this off! >>

    If I may, let me provide some perspective on Patrick's entirely accurate
comment, from someone who's actually done something like what people are
suggesting.
    As part of my job as Line Developer for the DS9 RPG line for Last Unicorn
Games, I (with the assistance of our utterly cool webmaster, Don Mappin) set
up a playtest for SPACEDOCK, my book of advanced starship construction and
combat rules.  I had about 70 people who signed up and actively participated
(and another 90 or so who didn't really participate, but who signed up). They
received a PDF of the draft manuscript (after signing a nondisclosure
agreement), which they then reviewed for anything they could think of --
typos, rules errors, rules imbalances, canon errors, omitted information,
poor organization, any ol' thing that bugged 'em. We had a web-based message
board, and at the end of the process people were also supposed to send me
reports.
    Now, was this helpful?  ENORMOUSLY.  The playtesters/readers made dozens
of useful suggestions and helped me catch a bunch of niggling errors and
omissions in the manuscript.
    But, was it also time-consuming?  INCREDIBLY.  The playtest lasted a
month, during which I spent an average 2-3 hours per day -- nearly half of a
standard working day -- responding to message and comments, answering
questions, and so forth. Tack that on top of the time it took just to prepare
for the playtest, and you're talking about a considerable amount of time. I,
personally, think that it was worth it -- but I wouldn't do it for *every*
project I worked on, and it's entirely possible that some companies (not LUG,
fortunately :) ) would consider doing it even once more time than they could
afford to commit.
    So, while I think that having fans review manuscripts for a company can,
in the right circumstances, be a tremendous boon to a gaming company, it can
also require more admin/logistical time than it's worth.

Steve Long