Re: [DL] mountie question (ATTN: Steve Long)

In a message dated 9/28/00 10:40:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time, DEHAISBE@cic.fr
writes:

<< Bryce already provided very useful info (thanks to you!) but I sure
wouldn't
 mind to have to add a page to Law Dogs.
 And I believe I'm not the only one here in this case. >>

    The section on the Mounties that I had in the LAW DOGS manuscript was
pretty short -- I didn't have the time to do much research, nor the space to
give them a big writeup.  AFAIK the material was cut on the assumption that
material on the NWMP would be in GREAT WEIRD NORTH. Anyhow, here's the stuff:

<<The North-West Mounted Police: They Always Get Their Man

    Weirdness knows no boundaries.  Some of it has spread north of the
border, and if the posse goes there after it, they may have a run-in with the
North-West Mounted Police — or, as they're better known, the Mounties.

History

    The Mounties are one of the youngest law enforcement agencies in the
West, having been around for only three years.  They are the brainchild of
Sir John MacDonald, the first Prime Minister of Canada and its first Minister
of Justice.  Seeing the lawlessness on Canada's vast frontier, he realized
that as folks moved west there would be a need for tough men to enforce the
law wherever and whenever necessary.  Personally, I think that the
accomplishments of the Texas Rangers also inspired him.
    By Act of Parliament, the North-West Mounted Police was deployed west in
mid-1874, with its main headquarters at Fort Macleod and Edmonton, Alberta.
The first group of Mounties consisted of 257 men led by 18 officers, though
the organization has grown somewhat since then.  The Mounties' primary duty
is to enforce the law and keep the peace, though they have many other
responsibilities.  They are to help enforce treaties between the Indians and
the government, establish friendly relations with the Indians whenever they
can, and keep white men from exploiting them.  They are also supposed to help
ease the poverty and suffering of settlers whenever they can.  More than one
farmer out on the lonely Canadian prairie has been glad to see a red-coated
Mountie riding over the horizon to come offer what help he can.

The Mounties Today

    The North-West Mounted Police is organized into six companies, with about
50 men to each company.  Companies are led by a Captain, who appoints a
Lieutenant or three to help him.  The Captains report to Majors, who in turn
report to the Commander, who's based in Edmonton.  The current Commander is
James B. Greaves.
    The Mounties are an organization stretched thin.  They have only about
350 men to patrol all of Canada north and west of the province of Manitoba.
Each Mounty is responsible for thousands of square miles of territory and
everything in it.
    The official motto of the Mounties is Maintiens le Droit, "Maintaining
The Right."  Their unofficial motto, bestowed upon them by appreciative
settlers, is, "They Always Get Their Man."  They live up to both mottoes.

Daily Life Of A Mountie

    Every Mountie is a tough, independent man capable of handling any kind of
problem by himself.  He has to be, since Mounties almost always work by
themselves — there just aren't enough Mounties for them to work together
except in the most extreme emergencies.  Mounties are used to spending weeks
in the wilderness by themselves, and in fact many of them enjoy their
solitary, self-reliant life.
    Although they don't carry badges, Mounties are easily recognized by their
bright red coats.  They also wear tan hats and pants and black boots, and
usually carry several guns.  They are skilled horseman, trackers, and
shooters.>>

Steve Long