Re: [DL] Re: Mad Science/Junker Science [long, possibly spoilers]

>whoever argued against this mad science basher should be commended, because
>it sounds far more valid as an argument than the original one

I agree, but It was me both as the original and the reply to the second
post.

I've played MS.  I'm working on a junker but nobody around here will touch
HOE with a ten foot pole (i've even offered to furnish the pole!).

There are gaps in the game that preclude any real work being done on Mads or
Junkers.

The first thing that really shook me up as far as the whole thing goes was
the Design Quirks table that is posted on the website.  It made for real
"MAD" gizmos and at the same time let the MS pull off some feats of
construction that would have taken years of game time.

"Sure it won't drive uphill but it has a 13" gun on it!"

The real problem is that I don't think people know exactly what to do with
MS or Junkers.  They aren't really that unbalancing.  I've done nothing but
throw armed to the teeth with mad science bozo's at my posse and they seldom
do as much damage as a well placed firecracker could.

On the whole I'm more for letting the original "Western" Setting show
through.  Keep it real then the freaky stuff will really weird them out.
I actually started one player in the game who didn't know there were zombies
or vampires or magic or anything else.  Boy did he look surprised.

So here is what I'm thinking.  I'm going to get a mad scientist and play
around with him for a while.  See just what it would take to get something
decent off the ground.  (I do already have one, but he's a metal
mage/harrowed and that would be cheating)  I challenge you to do the same.
Try it with both engineering and alchemy and see what kind of stuff you can
come up with useing just a players guide and smith and robards.  I'll bet
you don't get very far without haveing to use "Marshal's Perogative".

I'm going to do a full report after my study.  The list will have to wait
till after Colligium:POTNS comes out because I want to see how much of my
advice John took to heart when he was looking for ideas about what we wanted
to see in it.

Anyway, My money is where my mouth is, can you say the same?

Ron C