Re: [DL] Rant!

At 01:58 PM 1/6/2001 -0500, you wrote:
 >I don't think they could get rid of the list if they wanted to.  It is fan
 >owned and run is it not?

Well - they could in either of two ways.

The first is to pull a TSR and sic some lawyers on Gamerz.net.  Very unlikely.

The second would be to pull a "take my ball and go home" attitude ( or "an
ignore them and they will go away").  They could start a different listserv
elsewhere, replace any and all references to this listserv with the new
"official" one, maybe discourage any freelancers that participate in this
one, and possibly subtly slander the members of this list if the subject
came up, etc. etc.  The thing that gives this listserv it's "zing" over
other areas was the very close relationship between the authors and the
fans here.

Hmm - how would I spin this - "While we appreciate the efforts and time
that has been taken on behalf of Deadlands by Gamerz.net, we decided to
start our own listserv for we did not feel that is was appropriate or wise
to have an official function in the hands of people who were ultimately not
directly responsible to the company.  Also, by hosting the listserv on (X)
we believe that we can provide a higher quality of service and offer more
features then are currently available."
         "Those members who participate in the older listserv who are not
on this one were not comfortable with the choices we had to make to save
Pinnacle from itself and to keep Deadlands a viable product.   We
appreciate all the support they've given Pinnacle in the past, and as time
passes we hope they will choose to join us here."

That may be a bit rough, I haven't had to practise doublespeak in quite
some time.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

I'd say he's done more than that." -- When asked if first baseman Don
Mattingly had exceeded expectations for the current season. "The other
teams could make trouble for us if they win.
                 -Yogi Berra