Re: [DL] speed loading question, etc.

The 1875 Schofield does just this.  In fact, IIRC, when broken open, part of
the mechanism pops all the old brass out of the cylinder, so you just hold
the pistol upside down and the brass falls out.

The downside is, if you screw up a Quick Draw roll, your gun springs open on
the draw, scattering all your ammo on the ground in front of you, your gun
barrel pointing at the ground.  The gunfighter's equivalent of having your
pants around your ankles.

A discussion along these lines (is Speed Load accurate?) came up a while
back.  The Speed Load skill is setup for some weapons that are easy to empty
and reload -- i.e. not so much for a Peacemaker.  With practice you can
operate the Peacemaker's reload pretty quick, but like you said, it still
ain't fast.  I became happy with the way Speed Load works when Mr. Goff
spoke up.  Said something to the effect that gunslingers needed a break, let
'em speed load Peacemakers.  With the way Mr. Goff can slaughter posses
wholesale, if he feels the character's need a break, I'm willing to give it
;-)

This link:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/misc/schofield.htm
goes to a page with pictures of the gun, both broken open and not.

Jeff Y.
Marshal for the Dynamite Gang