Re: [DL] speed loading question, etc.

In a message dated 1/15/2001 4:16:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wishkah@redbrick.dcu.ie writes:

<<  I dunno, if a speed-load cylinder is out of the weapon at the time it's
  being reloaded, I'd say it'd be quicker to reload than when it's in the
  gun because there's no stuff getting in the way >>

Game terms........ I'd have to agree with the "Same as reloading a revolver"
folks.
Real Life.............. Actually takes me longer!   Cylinder tends to roll
around in my hand!     heh heh heh

<<  I dunno if any revolvers
 in 1876 are designed in such a way that they can be broken open like a
 shotgun, exposing the loady-bit of the cylinder, but I'd certainly say
 that if they do exist they'd be the exception to the rule.>>

There were........ ask Jesse James (in a game, of course..... folk's look at
ya funny when ya talk ta dead folks fer real!).     If memory serves....Jesse
mostly used a breechloaded revolver.    Could be wrong, of course......

<< Ever seen
 how you reload a Peacemaker?  Half-cock it, open a hatch thing on one
 side, use the built-in ramrod-type-gadget to eject the casing, insert
 new round, rotate cylinder a bit, repeat.  Ugh.>>

Actually......it's not that hard.     I've been timed at a full reload in 5
seconds.     Course THAT'S not with another joker shootin' at me thank the
Lord!    AND my next best time was almost 3 times that.      Biggest problem
is keeping the cartridges in a good position to slide right into the cylinder.

Guess it's really up to the individual Marshall, but I'd say that it's really
no faster OR slower than a standard reload.     My question to the player
asking to reload a speedload cylinder in the middle of a firefight, "Why not
just reload the cylinder IN the hogleg?".    Outside a fight, I wouldn't
guess it would matter too much.
My opinion only.....

Two Gun Mojo
SASS #30412